I enjoy the idea of Vacation Bible School. I don't know the history of it but if it is what the name says, it's great. I think that parents should also take the summer to enjoy a Bible School of some sort. Whether your church offers a Bible class or not, there are a lot of options out there for those looking for increasing their knowledge about this book that's all about God.
VBS is not childcare. From my experience, people are really serious about loving kids into the Kingdom of God. They do it in word and deed. I know that while I'm volunteering I'm praying that every child has an experience with God that will change their life.
I know not every parent can't volunteer but here are some options of what to do to help:
• Volunteer before or after VBS. There's a lot of work to be done before during and after. Find a way to plug in and help.
• Find a Night VBS if you work during the day. If your town doesn't have one, start one. I'm serious. I have family members who work during the day so they volunteer in night VBS. They love their experience!
• Thank the Volunteers. Volunteers go through background checks, training and daily prayer time in order to be sure that the kids have a great experience. A simple thank you is a blessing and some partner with the church to feed us and appreciate us in that way.
• Pray for the Leadership. Leading VBS is hard work. I grew up seeing my mother do it and I have a heart for the brave leaders of Vacation Bible School. I make the point to pray for them and serve them well. If you can't be there, you can always pray for them. Pray for rest and for God's grace to lead. You can also ask what their prayer needs are and go to work with those.
• Take Vacation time and Volunteer. I just talked to someone who is doing just that. The interesting thing is that this person didn't have to do this but she chose to serve God that way. Some vacation time is for us and I think that some is for helping God's Kingdom. I pray that God will richly bless this sweet lady who is serving the kids so well this week.
Vacation Bible School is a great way to teach the Gospel of Jesus Christ to the ones He loves so much. He said do not impede them but instead, lead them to Me.
Previously in this series:
• Our First VBS
• VBS Part 2
• Vacation Bible School 2014